1. Is your degree a „regular“ Charles University M.A. degree? Has the programme been accredited?

Yes, all the Master’s degree programmes offered by the Institute of International Studies, Charles University in Prague were accredited by the Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports.

2. When will be the next chance for participating in the programme?

The Master’s degree programmes start every year in October. Check our website for calls for applications and deadlines.

3. Can I visit the Institute of International Studies? When is the institute’s open to the public?

The Institute of International Studies organizes an “open-door-day” every year in mid-January. An individual visit is possible as well upon arrangement with the PRAREAS academic coordinator or the academic coordinators of the specific programme of interest. Please, contact us on prareas@fsv.cuni.cz

4. Do I need to speak Czech to attend your programme?

No prior knowledge of Czech is necessary to attend our MA programmes. See admission requirements of the specific programme of interest.

5. Is there an age limit for applicants?

We don’t have any age limit.

6. Will I be helped in visa matters?

We are ready to help should any problem arise. Information about residence permit and visa are available here.

7. When do I have to pay the tuition fee?

You will get the payment details at registration to the programme after your arrival. For further information please see here.

8. Are programme costs tax deductable?

Such a possibility depends upon tax law in your home country. In the Czech Republic, tuition can be claimed in your Czech tax declaration.

9. Does the tuition cover room and board? What are the average living costs in Prague?

The tuition does not cover room or board. For more information about housing, please refer to “Studying at FSV UK - Housing and Catering”. Charles University has a number of student cafeterias and restaurants at different University locations. Student prices are guaranteed with a Charles University ISIC card used newly also for paying for the meals (approx. Kč 50/meal). The exact cost of your stay in Prague is largely up to you. The cost of living in the Czech Republic is on average comparable to that of other Central and East European countries. A single student is advised to have available approximately Kč 8.500 (cca 330 euro) per month to cover food, basic transport and accommodation.

10. Can I receive credit for any kind of earlier studies in the same field?

Yes, credit recognition of coursework you might have already taken will be possible. Credit recognition is only possible with the agreement of the Head of the relevant programme.

11. Will I have an opportunity to spending a period of study abroad?

Almost everyone in our English-language programmes has the same rights and opportunities as students in our Czech-language programmes, including a possibility to apply to the Erasmus programme. However, because student status is conditional on the payment of school fees and/or various scholarships, some special conditions apply. For further information, please contact the International Office.

12. When does term start? What are the term dates for the next academic year?

The academic year at the Charles University runs from October to June. One academic year is divided into two semesters – winter and summer one (each includes 15 weeks of instruction and five-week examination period). 
Winter semester: 1st Monday in October (unless first Monday is 30th September) to 2nd Friday in January; Examination period: 3rd Monday in January to 3rd Friday in February 
Summer semester: 3rh Monday in February to 3rd Friday in May; Examination period: 4th Monday in May to the end of June 
Please note that dates may vary according to the year and/or the individual faculty rules. Organization of the actual academic year you can find here.

13. Can I work while I’m studying at the Charles University?

International students (visa holders) can be employed, but must have a job permit. Job permit is not required only if the student (max. 26 years old) works not longer than 7 consecutive calendar days or 30 days a year in total. For more information go to www.mpsv.cz/en or http://portal.mpsv.cz/sz/zahr_zam.